I love learning new things, especially when it involves a craft, art or fun hobby. While surfing youtube for some help with a polymer clay project I ran across recipes for something called Cold Porcelain Clay. It is a clay easily made at home from very inexpensive ingredients. It air dries rather than needing to be baked and it is apparently very durable. There were many different recipes available and more surfing taught me that different recipes = different uses. Some are better for thin flower petals and others better for molding. I’ve been using polymer clay in my jewelry making for many years and I do like it but my hand often gets worn out while trying to soften it up for use. I’m intrigued by the soft pliable nature of the cold porcelain clay. So far it seems to be a nice alternative to polymer that will be easier on my hand.
So I have issued myself an 8 week challenge to try out recipes, work with the clay and see how much I can learn. I’ll show and share with you everything I learn over the 8 weeks. I’ll share my failures, successes and any tips and tricks I learn along the way.
The pictures above shows you the first few things I made in the first week of my clay adventuring.
Here is the first recipe I used (Below) and a video I followed: First attempt at Cold Porcelain Clay
1 cup white glue – I used Elmers glue all, NOT the washable kind
1 cup cornstarch
2 Tbsp olive oil (the video says baby oil but I found info that olive oil or even mineral could replace it)
2 Tbsp lemon juice (can use white vinegar as a sub)
How did my first attempt turn out? It was very sticky! I had it stuck to my hands my work surface and anything it touched! Lotion on my hands did nothing to stop the sticking. I have a 1600 watt microwave and I heated my batch more than 10 times to get a consistency like she has in the video. I kneaded it until it was cool and it did finally stop sticking to everything but I had a huge mess to clean up and was not to sure how I felt about this clay. Onto the internet I went to try to figure out where I went wrong. I came to the conclusion that I may not have cooked it enough. The cooking process is meant to take the excess moisture out of the clay and mine was still to moist. More web surfing and I discovered I could cook the batch more. I separated it into 2 parts and cooked one a few more times at a lower power level. After just a few more intervals in the microwave I had this:
The clay is definitely softer than polymer. The drawback I see already is that it is not suited for things needing good defined lines such as cane work. It is fantastic in molds as long as you very lightly brush the mold with an oil first so that it will release. I did not do that in my silicone molds and had to let the pieces dry for a day before they popped out. Photo shows a comparison of it uncolored (lock) and colored with white acrylic paint (the wings). The pink flower and green oval piece are tinted using mica powder. The tiny key is tinted with a gold metallic acrylic paint
Next Saturday I’ll post week two’s adventures.